Friday, May 22, 2009

It Is 10 AM Do You Know Where Your Liver Is?


I have never given my liver much consideration. I know I have one, but I couldn’t tell you where it is. Big Judes (like every other mother in the world) made sure I could point to my ears and my nose; it is not cute for babies to point to their liver.

Guts are not cute.

Nor is it cute for girl toddlers to point to their boobs according to Judes, but that is another story entirely.

I remember the invisible man in the Sears catalog. He was a see through guy made of plastic with his innards exposed, an educational model on the last page of the toy section next to microscopes and rock tumblers. The invisible man never made it on to my Christmas list. I only stopped to check him out on the way to the bra pages. Judes did not subscribe to National Geographic. Smiley ladies in bras were the closest thing you could get to naked at my house. The appeal of the invisible man was his lack of clothing, not his liver.

Brains get a lot of good press. We are all interested in improving our brains; we protect them from harm with helmets. Everyone knows that a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

And hearts? Hearts are the celebrities of the organ world. They have associations and holidays, not to mention their own international symbol. We “heart” New York. Matters of importance deserve a heart to heart talk. I bet no one has ever embellished a love letter with a liver.

Even kidneys have a bean.

What recognition do livers get? None whatsoever.
It is a shame really, because livers kick ass. If you do not believe me, spend a day or two without one.

This brings me to my point:
Yes, there is a point! …

Go hug your liver (If you can find it). Be an organ donor. Thank your lucky stars that your liver does the job it was hired for without complaint. While you are at it if it is not too much of an imposition, could you put in a good word to God, or Allah, or Buddha, or Oprah or whoever it is that you consider a higher power for a particular liver in Kansas? You see, I love this liver very much and I want it to get well.

Livers Rock!
You Rock!

Out-T.

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search