Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Those Were the days My Friend

" I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, the hairspray I use and the friends I have,"

I answered the phone on the third ring.
It was late enough for concern, not late enough for panic.
I knew the voice immediately. “What’s wrong?”
The news was bad.
She called me first.
I was glad she did.
Bad news always leaves me silent.
That is OK with her.
She knew what to say.
She always does.
It should have been awkward. It had been too long since our last conversation.
The call lasted more than three hours.
We picked up where we left off, as if we had spoken earlier in the day, not earlier in our lives.
We have been friends for almost ever.
She laughs at my jokes.
She thinks that fifteen pounds of bleeding beef brisket folded like origami to fit in my too small freezer is funny.
It is funny to her, because she knows I cannot cook.
She asks when I am coming home.
When she says home, it seems like it, like home.
I am glad she called me first.



In her honor --Karaoke.
Because she loves it when I sing (not).
karey m. said...

friends like this are just pure joy.

glad you have it in your life again...

Tobi said...

The best. No doubtaboutit!

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search